1. It really is a “Small World” after all and investing in relationships with people from different places really does enrich your life. So go ahead and use those tools available these days to stay in touch.
2. Swallow your pride and admit it when you are wrong. Usually those around you have already figure out your mistake anyway.
3. Don’t take yourself too seriously! Sometimes it is just best to laugh at yourself. We humans can be pretty funny creatures sometimes.
4. Thanks to the Housewives of “Whatever City” I have realized that my life is pretty tame and boring and I like it that way.
5. Laughter really is good medicine.
6. Give more grace to people. You have not walked in other people’s shoes and there is probably a whole bunch you don’t understand about their choices, behaviors and decisions.
7. Be very careful in intersections, because not everyone follows the rules of the road or in life. You never know when or where danger lies so be alert.
8. Listen and hear people better! This fall I had someone who I had not seen in awhile surprise me by revisiting a small simple detail from a conversation we had had a couple months earlier. That act really made me feel like what I said mattered and is a gift I would love to pass on to others.
9. Throwing a frozen banana, a half of cup of frozen berries and a bit of honey into a food processor really does make a great dessert. This is really yummy!
10. No matter how things have turned out in the past don't be afraid to be vulnerable and take risk. It is better to be in the game then to always wonder what if.
11. At times, it might be wiser to keep emails and messages in draft form for a day or so before hitting the send button. Things might be better communicated after a day or so of reflection.
12. Slow down and smell the roses some. Better yet, pull out the camera and take photographs of them. There is so much beauty in our world and we miss so much of it with all our rushing around.
13. Live within (or better yet below) your means. It really does give you more freedom.
14. Life does not have a rewind button, email/Facebook message can not be unsent, harsh words can not be unsaid, etc. All we can do; is do our best, learn from our mistakes and trust that God has a plan.
15. That putting brown sugar out in a small dishes really does keep flies away. (Thanks Melody for that little tip).
16. True loyalty is displayed when people show honor to someone who is no longer in a position to do anything for them.
17. When you decide to go against the grain and do things differently be prepare to explain why. Those explanations demonstrate the true intelligence behind your decisions.
18. When someone does something nice for you (even if you can do it for yourself) let your guard down, enjoy it and remember to say thank you.
19. Sometimes it really is fun to have your past visit it you.
20. Real history happens as we live life out day to day and continues on in the memories of those around us. So from the bottom of my heart thanks to each and everyone of you for being part of my history this year.